My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.frugalfunfortune.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My Candy Deal That Turned Out To Be Not So Sweet...But Publix Came To My Rescue!

So, first of all, you'll forgive me for this horrific picture, right? ;) My camera is not cooperating with me at the moment. It has dead batteries, a jam-packed memory card (that needs to be unloaded and sifted through), and my hubby's programmed settings (from taking pics for his business)...so in short, I had to turn the camera on as quick as I could, in hopes that I would get a decent picture. I failed...miserably. Haha! Shame on me as a couponer to not have bags of backup batteries. (I promise I usually do! There just haven't been any great deals lately!!!)

I ventured out to CVS tonight (all the way across the street). I was in luck when I got there - ONE Glade reed diffuser left (I wanted the candle, but the diffuser is just dandy). That took about two seconds...

Then, I made my way to the Halloween candy aisle for that super awesome candy deal where I would be walking out of CVS with EIGHT bags of candy for $.44 each! Yep, you guessed it...didn't happen. A couple of different factors contributed to my giving up on the candy deal, and I wanted to pass them along just to give you a heads up:
  • The prices were not as I expected. There were so many different sizes and varieties. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted to pay as little out of pocket as possible. Many of the prices were higher than expected.
  • I wasn't sure which "select Halloween candy" the deal was for. I didn't want to buy all of the candy, and be disappointed at not getting my $5 ECB afterwards. The labels were on some candy, but not others. My CVS is horrible at putting the sale tags out. Most of the time, they're not there. So, I wasn't sure: Were some of the ones not labeled really included in the sale or not? I didn't want to mess with it.
  • I started looking at the fine print on that hot new $2/1 Nestle coupon that I had in my hand, and I noticed it was for a 24 oz bag or larger. That's a HUGE bag! The prices on those babies were about $6! Not worth it.
I just wanted to mainly let you know about the $2 coupons. Those won't make for as great a deal as I thought. I'm sure you can still get a great deal on the candy, combining different coupons. If you are wanting to buy a lot of Halloween candy, it's definitely the best sale out there right now that I've seen yet. I just didn't need 8 bags of candy, so I didn't feel like paying too high of an out of pocket expense (especially since we're on our $20/week budget right now).

As I was driving by Publix, I thought to myself, "Wait a minute...Publix had those huge bags of Nestle candy BOGO free this sale week!" So I pulled a U-turn and went on in. I wanted to go ahead and get them, because the sale ends tomorrow. So I got the two huge bags of candy pictured above for only $1.99 plus tax! They would have normally been $11.98 plus tax! What a steal! And now I have some candy to give to the cute little ones that knock on my door next weekend. =) The end.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Julianne Hendrickson said...

Did you use two 2-dollar coupons? Just wondering--I am going to stop by tomorrow and I have 2 coupons as well :)

October 20, 2009 at 8:35 PM  
Blogger Meagan said...

Hey Julianne! =) Yes, at Publix you can use a manufacturer's coupon for each item that you buy, even if it is free because of the sale! This is how you can save SO MUCH MONEY at Publix! I love it! Here's what I did, though:

Buy 2 at $5.99 each
Use (2) $2/1 coupons
$4 will come off your total
$5.99 - $4 = $1.99 for both bags!

Have fun!

October 20, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home