My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.frugalfunfortune.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Super Savings Saturday: Week Two of the $20 Grocery Challenge!

For those of you who haven't been following along, I am currently in the middle of a $20/week grocery challenge! It started out intended to be for the first two weeks of October, but after last week's trip, I found myself realizing how easy it is to cut the grocery budget (go here to read about what I learned from the 1st week of this challenge)! Therefore, I have now decided to extend this $20/week grocery challenge throughout the entire month of October!

As you can see above, I did not buy very much. I bought a few produce necessities, some milk, eggs, a few sale items, and some paper towels. All of the dinner meals for this past week were planned around what we already had on hand.

Here is what I bought:

1 Sparkle paper towels (under $5, my target price for these)
4 boxes of Frosted Mini Wheats
1 gallon of milk (free with the cereal purchase!)
1 package Romaine lettuce
1 package raw veggies (on sale for $1!!!)
1 package Eggs (for all that Holiday baking)
Bananas
Pineapple
2 Royal Gala apples (yum, my favorite)
1 red onion (for the shrimp curry)
2 packs Fiber One yogurt

Total Before Sales and Coupons: $47.97
Total saved from sales: $17.27
Manufacturer coupons used: $6.50
Store/Competitor coupons used: $7.59
Total amount saved: $31.36
Total paid after all sales and coupons: $16.61

*I also spent $1.29 at CVS this week on a 12 pack roll of toilet paper and 2 packages of candy corn. =) I wanted that free pumpkin carving tool, but they were already out of it when I got there! Bummer!

***With Publix and CVS combined, we spent a total of $17.90 this week! Looks like we're under our $20 budget again for this week!

October Totals:

1st week: $15.69
2nd week: $17.90

Total spent for month of October so far: $33.59
Total savings for month of October so far: $113.92

This $20 challenge is really becoming an eye-opening experience for me on so many different levels. I am going to do a post at the end of the monthly challenge about what I have learned and what I plan to change about my grocery shopping. =)

New to saving money on groceries? Try this series for helpful information on how to save.

Not sure how to use coupons? Try this post for couponing basics!

Want to start saving at Publix? Check out the Publix Basics post to learn all about it!

What about you? How did you do this week? Share your deals and scenarios below! If you are new to saving money, I invite you to e-mail me with a picture and explanation of a great deal you got, so that I can share it with all of the readers! Check out one reader's savings this week! She did great! We're all in this together! =)

Want to see how others save as well? Many bloggers join Money Saving Mom in her "Super Savings Saturday" every week! Check it out!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous The Prudent Homemaker said...

That's great that you can lower your bill so much!

My 5 children would eat 5 apples in a sitting, and those bananas in another, so for me, that amount of fruits and vegetables isn't enough for more than a day.

For this reason, I keep lots of fruits and vegetables in our pantry. We've had to live on our food storage for 2 years, so I've learned how many fruits and vegetables we need on our shelves so that we can still have our daily servings of both. Our garden helps a lot too.

I recently bought 400 lbs of apples to make applesauce and for fresh eating. I know that my family can eat this amount very quickly. I hope that my own apple trees will one day be big enough to provide that many apples, but they have many years before they are big enough to do that.

October 17, 2009 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger Meagan said...

Yes. I understand what you're saying. That produce is enough for us for one week, since it is just me and my husband.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy a huge bulk of apples at one time. Even at your $.50/lb, that's still $200, more than my entire monthly shopping budget.

Also, we live in a townhome. There is nowhere to do a garden.

I appreciate your insight! Everybody is a little different, and in different stages in life. =) We all just do the best we can with what we have.

October 17, 2009 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger Coupon Teacher said...

I like your challenge, I have done a similar one myself. Keep up the great work!

October 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wish I could have you on the phone while I'm walking through the store.
Do you shop every week? So, the mission is to only spend no more then $20 a week?
Do you only go to one store a week?

October 18, 2009 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I decided to post a list of grocery shopping questions on my blog.
I invite you to share your answers to some or all of them.
Thank you.

October 18, 2009 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger Meagan said...

Hey Rona! I will answer your questions very soon! =) I'm thinking of doing an entire post on it, and linking back to your blog. It's just way too much for one comment. =)

October 18, 2009 at 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home