My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.frugalfunfortune.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Q & A Time: Coupons at Publix...

I know I just did a Q & A session a day or two ago, but I thought this was a pretty important question for Publix shoppers out there. I was rambling on in one comment, and decided it was just too long to not become a post by itself! Our question comes from Nicole, who had a fabulous first time run at Publix, but ran into a problem with a cashier taking her coupons...

"...they wouldn't allow 2 $2 off coupons for the cereal because they were priced at $3.99 BOGO and the two coupons would have added up to $4. I asked if they would adjust it down a penny but they said they couldn't adjust manu. coupons, only store coupons. Hope all that made sense. Has this ever happened to you at Publix? Maybe I should try a different store next time?"

Publix coupon policies differ from store to store. It all depends on what your manager will allow. Next time you're in there, go ask the manager what the coupon policy is. I have asked the manager what mine is, and I still have different cashiers try to tell me different things. I politely ask, "Oh really? I didn't know that. I do that all the time. Can we ask a manager, just so I'm clear on the policy for the future?" 9 times out of 10, I'm right, the manager tells the cashier what to do, and now the cashier knows for the future. =)

It sounds strange to me that they won't adjust the coupon. They should be able to do that, even with manufacturer coupons. Maybe I'm wrong, but that doesn't sound right to me. I've never had a problem with it. A lot of stores won't allow "overage," but most should be able to price adjust. My store is great - they allow overage.

Sometimes cashiers can't believe how much you're saving, and that you're truly getting things for free. When this happens, they think they might be doing something wrong, because it can't be possible. I think they worry that they might get fired if they give you something for free, or let you use too many coupons. I can understand that viewpoint, especially from somebody who doesn't understand how much you can save with coupons. I sure get some crazy looks sometimes! (It's all part of being a couponer...you'll get used to it after a while).

Also, it may depend on whether your Publix store rings up BOGO's as a true BOGO (one rings up full price, the other one rings up as free), or if both items just simply ring up half price. At my store, they ring up true BOGO. Check that out on your screen or receipt next time you shop.

I would ask the manager next time you're there. Explain the scenario to them. It might have just been the cashier. Also, ask the manager about their competitor's coupon policy while you're at it.

Honestly, sometimes I have cashiers tell me some really strange things that I know for a fact aren't true. You can't blame them, though. Like I said, they're just trying to do their job and be careful. Calling the manager over in a polite way is always best.

A couple of tips in summary:
  • Always be polite and courteous. Don't fight with them. Couponers already have too bad of a reputation. It's important that we treat others with respect. It's not the cashier's fault that he/she doesn't know the correct coupon policy. It is just something that employees learn with time, and calling the manager over is the best way to educate them on the issue.
  • Know your coupon policy! Very important. Ask a manager.
  • Most importantly: Learn your cashiers. If you go to the manager next time, and find out that the cashier you had was wrong about that issue, I personally wouldn't go to them again. It can just be frustrating. At my store, I have a couple of cashiers that I avoid, simply because I want to make my shopping trip as stress-free and easy as possible. I also have 2 or 3 cashiers that I love, and try to find them every time I go. You'll learn over time which ones are the best "couponing friendly" cashiers.
I hope that helps, Nicole! Unfortunately, all Publix stores are so different. If you don't mind me asking, what area are you in? That makes a difference, too. Check with your manager, and let me know what he/she said. I'm interested to know...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Wow, thanks for the post. I feel special;) Anyways, I went straight to customer service when I got there and asked about the coupon policy before even shopping. I don't think the girl I spoke to was a manager but she was very clear that they wouldn't adjust manu. coupons, only store coupons such as target or other grocery stores. They won't accept CVS coupons either. Bummer, I had a $5/$25 with me. Anyways, when I got to the checkout, the cashier saw the coupons in my hand and asked for them before she rang everything up. She looked through them and said she was making sure I didn't have coupons that would cause overage because she would have to call customer service over. I didn't push both cereal coupons because I didn't want to stir up a big problem especially on my first trip. I agree about not blaming the cashier and especially about being courteous. It doesn't help one bit if you get hateful or upset with someone. When problems arise I usually just ask to speak with a manager for clarity. I probably won't go to that Publix again, just because there is another one closer. If they had taken the coupons, I would probably drive to that one since I know what to expect but, I think I will try a different one next time. Oh, and all of the stores in my area ring BOGO's up as "true" BOGO. One full price and the other free. I live in Central FL. About 15 miles from Clermont.

October 1, 2009 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger Meagan said...

That's crazy! I'm sorry that your store doesn't price adjust. I hope the one nearer to you is a little better with the coupon policy! I live in Florida as well. =) Let me know what you find out about your new store!

October 1, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home