My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.frugalfunfortune.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

I played the drug store game this week...

Most of you know that I pretty much only shop at CVS and mostly avoid Walgreens (their coupon policy just stresses me out). Every now and then, though, Walgreens has a way of p-u-l-l-i-n-g me back in to their awesome deals. I gave in this week. ;)

I went to CVS and Walgreens this week for some awesome steals. Check it out...



Here's what I bought at CVS (pictured above):

2 Dentyne Ice (75 count)
1 gallon of milk
1 Soft Soap Nutri-Serums
1 Powerball Gel Bar

Coupons Used:

(2) $1.50/1 Dentyne Ice
(1) $1/1 milk
(1) $1/1 Soft Soap
(1) $7.50 in Extra Bucks

Total paid out of pocket: $2.87
Total saved: $15.87
ECB I walked away with: $6.50

So, I did lose $1 in ECB, but that's okay with me. I like what I was able to get for less than $3 (which is less than the original price of the milk)!




Here's what I got at Walgreens*** (pictured above):

2 Purex detergents
1 Lady Speed Stick
3 Kotex packages
3 Revlon eye shadows

Coupons Used:

(1) Buy one get one free Purex
(1) $1.50/2 Kotex
(3) $2/1 Revlon cosmetic
(1) $.75/1 Lady Speed Stick

Total paid out of pocket: $10.06
Total saved: $34.23
RR I walked away with: $6 (Which I then used at Publix the next day! Gotta love it!)

Overall, it was a pretty awesome drug store game week! I paid a total of $12.93, and saved $50.10!

***Note on my experience at Walgreens: There is this one cashier/manager guy that works there, and he is incredible. He is the most coupon-friendly Walgreens employee I have ever met in my life. This guy knows his stuff! A couple weeks ago when I went to do the Huggies deal, I couldn't find my good ole caramel chews that are only $.30 each. And he knew the tricks! He's like, "Oh do you need a filler so that your coupons don't exceed your items? Most couponers use the caramel chews. Let me find them for you." *GASP* It's nice to know there are coupon-friendly people out there in the world, even at Walgreens. He makes my shopping experience at Walgreens so much more pleasurable. He had no problem with giving me the BOGO Purex with the coupon to get both for free. I even told him he'd have to price-adjust the $2/1 Revlon coupon down to $1.99, but he said, "Nope. No biggie. It's just 3 cents!" and he miraculously pushed all 3 coupons through. I have never seen a Walgreens cashier push a coupon through for me. I wish I could remember his name, but thank you awesome Walgreens guy!!! You made my day...and I just might start frequenting Walgreens more often because of you.

What About You: Catch any great CVS or Walgreens deals this week? Share below!

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great manager. I had a great experience with an Assistant manager at my Walgreens and I wondered if it was the same person. Which Walgreens did you go to?

March 6, 2010 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger Meagan said...

Race Track Road. He's a younger, skinny guy. Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's an assistant manager or a shift leader.

March 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine is on 103rd St so not the same guy. Seems like the guys are more coupon friendly

March 6, 2010 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I was having a terrible time at Walgreens for a while. Then, out of the blue, a different cashier was there. I LOVE HER! She actually tried to find coupons behind the counter to better the deal.

March 6, 2010 at 1:50 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

I got the Purex detergent also at Walgreens I nabbed 2 of them because I had 2 coupons and the cashier did not give me any issues....Also at CVS I nabbed 2 gallons of the milk using 2 $1/1 coupons but to my surprise when the ECB printed at the end of my transaction I got $2 in ECB for the milk so it was like getting 2 gallons of milk for .38 cents.....what a deal.......love it

March 6, 2010 at 2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I started couponing about two months ago, I have gotten some awesome deals and even some things free! But...the drug stores are really cracking down on the whole couponing thing. For instance, at Walgreens - as of this week, they will not allow you to do a store BOGO with a coupon BOGO to get both items free. They said the manufacturers were getting upset because this was not what they originally intended. On top of that, the rewards can't always be used on future purchases if you have already used coupons. I'm wondering if it's just the stores here in NC? Rite Aid also only prints their rewards toward specific items for your future purchase. On a positive note, in the past two months, I have been able to stock up on a lot of toiletries. I'm so frustrated though with all of the restrictions that I am about ready to give up on going to the drug stores altogether. CVS has had the least hassles, but not without an occasional "we don't do that here". I definitely love saving money...just don't like putting the time and effort in only to get turned down at the register. Thanks for all of your tips - your site is easy to use and has a lot of great stuff!

March 6, 2010 at 5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shopped at the Walgreens in Green cove Springs - bought 2 Purex used the BOGO coupon and a $1.00 register reward and did not get the $1.00 RR as advertised - cashier if you use a RR you don't get another - have you found this to be true.

March 6, 2010 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger Meagan said...

Only if it's on the same product. For example, if you got a RR for a Purex product and used it on another Purex product, it won't print.

Other than that, it should have printed.

Did you buy regular detergent or the 3-in-1 sheets? The $1 RR was only on the 3-in-1 sheets.

Hope that helps!

March 6, 2010 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

AWFUL night at WAGS for me last night- I had intended on getting One Revlon Eye Shadow
4 boxes kotex pads, one tampon

NONE worked!
ugh
the manager was a meanie. and the cashier was clueless
So I had to have the whole thing voided, fillers and all and walk away :( I really wanted that eyeshadow too! lol
Oh well ya win some, ya lose some
Now on the same acct. the SAME Wags during the day Let me get SIX purex FREE with the BOGO. so go figure.. its the staf,, Its always the staff that makes or breaks the deal on any given shopping trip- Unless Im at Publix, Publix ALWAYS rocks!

March 6, 2010 at 11:12 PM  
Anonymous Sara said...

Anon,

I feel your Wags pain. My deals there almost never work, unless I go when I know a certain cashier will be working. She is coupon friendly, everyone else there hates my coupons. They seem to come up with coupon rules as I'm trying to do the deal, which is frustrating! Last week, they announced all Wags coupons must be handed over first, which of course totally screws up some deals. CVS and Rite Aid, on the other hand, are always wonderful.

I wonder how the manufacture knows about the BOGO deals. That seems more like management doesn't like it, rather than the manufactures. Once Wags sends the coupons in, there is no way of knowing what deals they were used on. Hmmm......

March 7, 2010 at 2:18 AM  
Blogger Meagan said...

Hi Everyone! Don't forget to shoot me an e-mail at frugalfunfortune@gmail.com to let me know about coupon-friendly and coupon-hater stores you shop at! I'm putting together a huge list for everyone to view, so that couponers can know which stores are great and which stores are terrible. =)

Just reminding you, since I'm seeing a lot of comments about bad Walgreens experiences.

Thanks!

March 7, 2010 at 2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home