My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.frugalfunfortune.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, December 11, 2009

Recipe Review: Mashed Potato & Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas!

I have had a few people ask me about this recipe when I have posted it on past Menu Plan Mondays, so I thought it would be a good one to review. This is one of my very favorite Vegetarian recipes. My husband gets sooo excited every time I make it, and he's not one to get thrilled over food (must be nice!)

It's a strange combo, and you wouldn't think it would be yummy...but it is so delicious! The way I make it takes some time to prepare, but it's worth it in the end. The website I got it from is linked to the title below, but I make quite a few changes, so I'm going to also give you the recipe for how I make it!

Serving Size: The original recipe says 12 servings. When I cut it in half (as written up below), it says 6 servings. I would say, depending on how big of an eater you are, that it probably feeds about 3-4 people. We usually each have 2 enchiladas, and I save the leftovers for my hubby's lunch the next day. It also depends on how big your tortillas are! Just experiment. =)

Ingredients You Need:
  • 1/2 head broccoli, chopped
  • 1/4 lb fresh button or sliced mushrooms
  • 1 1/2 small zucchini, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Water for boiling
  • Milk and butter to make mashed potatoes
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • Tortillas
  • 1 can enchilada sauce
  • Shredded Mexican Cheese (half a bag, or more if you'd like. Haha!)
  • 1 Onion
  • Spices (this makes the meal, it's a must!): garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and taco seasoning
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
  2. While preheating oven, chop broccoli, zucchini, onion and carrots. (I usually half the mushrooms into smaller pieces as well).
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the vegetables. Drizzle them with the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss them up a bit to spread the oil around.
  4. Spread the vegetables on a shallow baking dish in a single layer. Roast vegetables in the oven for 30-40 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time. When finished cooking, remove from oven, and change heat setting on oven to 350 degrees F.
  5. While vegetables are roasting in the oven, prepare the mashed potatoes: Peel potatoes, cut into cubes, and boil until soft. Mash them, beat them, and add milk/butter/salt to taste...just like you'd make regular mashed potatoes.
  6. Add 1/2 of the enchilada sauce to the mashed potatoes. Add the spices (garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, taco seasoning) to the mashed potatoes, to taste. (Personally, I add quite a bit of spice, because I love it!)
  7. When the roasted vegetables are done, stir them into the mashed potato mixture as well.
  8. Place spoonfuls of the mashed potato/vegetable mixture into each tortilla, along with a sprinkle of cheese. Roll each one up, and place seam side down in a baking dish.
  9. Once all tortillas are in the baking dish, pour remaining enchilada sauce on top of them. Sprinkle cheese on top.
  10. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, until the enchiladas are heated through.
  11. Serve and enjoy! =) I like to top mine with sour cream and salsa.
Sooooo yummy! I hope you like it!

Do you enjoy Recipe Reviews? Should I do them more often? Would you like to see more advice on frugal meal planning, cooking, and recipe ideas? I'd love to hear your ideas or opinions!!!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Ashley Lyon said...

That sounds amazing! I'm definetly going to add it to my pile of recipes to try!

I'm always looking for new recipes, especially ones that are meatless that I could sneak past the husband. :)

December 11, 2009 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger teely said...

sounds great.......have to try this on "HE" man :-)

December 12, 2009 at 1:02 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Yay! Been looking forward to this one :). I'm going to try it as soon as I can convince the hubby to, lol. I would LOVE more recipe reviews, anytime you can post them is awesome :).

December 12, 2009 at 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home