My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.frugalfunfortune.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 30, 2009

The Beautiful Life - What are you thankful for?

I love the saying, “The most beautiful things in life are free.” I know it’s so cliche, but it is also so true. When we have money, we become less in touch with the simple and beautiful moments in life. And when we don’t have money, we focus on it way too much, and find ourselves unable to enjoy life without it. Isn’t that so strange? It consumes us as Americans.

We have to free ourselves from this cycle. I think my husband and I can finally say we have broken free. I’m not trying to say we’re perfect, or there aren’t days that we struggle because of our low income. I’m just saying that we’ve been through a long journey that took us from bitterness to joy. Let me tell you...when you’re finally free from the hold money has on our lives, you will enjoy life like never before.


Have you ever gone overseas and seen third world poverty??? They literally have nothing. But you know what? They are also the happiest people you will ever meet in your entire life. It’s crazy. They don’t know what they’re missing. Money doesn’t have a hold on their lives. Here in America, if we found ourselves having to live the way these poverty-stricken people live in other countries, we would be bitter, angry, without hope, joyless, and questioning God. Over there, money does not have a grip on their hearts. They have a zest for life and a love for God and a joy for the small things...while starving to death, without clean water, no access to medical care, and no roof over their heads.


These people challenge me and encourage me. Sometimes I wonder where God has gone, and why we must struggle so much financially. Yet when I think once about how other people are having to live around the world, I realize that no matter how bad I have it, I still live in luxury. I have a warm bed, a roof over my head, clean (not to mention running and hot) water, medical care, soft carpet beneath my feet, a freezer and pantry full of food, shoes on my feet, a healthy body, a loving family, a closet full of clothes, the list goes on...


I am blessed. Bottom line. I know Thanksgiving has come and gone. And if I had been in town to do my regular blogging, I would have done this post last week. I was out of town, though, so I’m a little late. But reasons to be thankful are here all year. Not to mention Christmas time should still be a season of thankfulness, giving, and love.


I want to make a short list of the simple, small, and beautiful things in life that I am thankful for. Then, I would love it if all of you would leave a comment with just one thing you are thankful for. Please participate! It would be such an encouragement and joy to others to be able to see how everybody is thankful. =)


Here are 10 simple and beautiful things I love about life, that I am very thankful for:

  1. The grace, love, and mercy of my Beautiful Lord and Savior.
  2. Spending time with family.
  3. Being in the middle of God’s magnificent creation - whether it be standing on top of a mountain, looking out at the ocean, exploring in the forest, hiking trails, canoeing a river, etc.
  4. Basic necessities of life that I mentioned above - food, water, shelter, warmth, etc.
  5. Curling up to read a good book (and a library to have access to, so that I can get all the books I want completely free).
  6. Pictures that capture lasting memories of some of the best moments in life.
  7. My health - eyes to see, ears to hear, both legs to walk, arms to reach, my fingers to grasp, my heart that beats, my lungs that breathe, my blood that still circulates, and all the other systems that are still going strong.
  8. The scents of Christmas time - apple cider, a real Christmas tree, candles aglow, cookies baking...all the little luxuries I take for granted.
  9. My husband, my soul mate, my life partner, my best friend. This is also something I take for granted, as there are many lonely people out there who don’t have this.
  10. Laughter and smiles of beautiful people all around me.

I could go on forever, but it’s your turn now! What are you thankful for? What beautiful things in life do you take for granted???

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm thankful for many, mamy things, but at this time of year, I will say I am most thankful for Christmas....and what Christmas really stands for. the celebration of the birth of Jesus. MM

December 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

I'm thankful for my husband's and son's smiles and hugs and kisses when I come home from work (well, anytime, really, but especially then). I'm also thankful that my son has stayed healthy all year (after a rather rought start - he spent 4 days in the NICU when he was born).

December 1, 2009 at 6:53 PM  
Blogger Beth and Brad said...

I agree with your list of things... and I am also thankful that my husband and I both have jobs. I also am very thankful for our wonderful church and the amazing fellowship we have there.

December 1, 2009 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I am thankful for so many things this year, more than most years of the past because I have finally learned what really matters in life. It's too hard to say just one or two things but besides my Heavenly Father I am most thankful for my wonderful husband and two beautiful girls. Those 3 people mean the world to me.

Other things:
God's provisions for us (our pantry is more full now than it's ever been).

Our good health.

My husband's job (even if he's slow at work it's still better than no job).

My children's laughter (yeah I know I already said the girls but to hear them laugh and giggle makes my day).

Our freedom.

The memories we are making each day.

Our church and pastor.

Our home.

The Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.

The warmth inside that the holidays and time spent with family bring.

A wonderful mom and mother-in-law.

My drawer full of glade holiday candles from Target (Yeah it sounds silly but I love smelling these candles especially this time of year).

This blog which has helped me save soooo much money on groceries.

Good (paid for) vehicles to drive.
The beautiful, colorful changing leaves we got to see last week while in Georgia.

Okay, I guess I'll stop now. You said only one thing but I got a little carried away. Sorry

December 1, 2009 at 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home