My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.frugalfunfortune.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tuesday Tidbits & Tips: Purging Old Coupon Inserts


Yesterday I decided to purge my old coupons and clean up my coupon organizing system. It was overflowing and coupons were all over the place! I feel so much better now.

How do you go about purging old coupons, you might ask? I have a really easy system that prevents me from throwing out old inserts that might still have valid, non-expired coupons in them. Here's what I do:

I've mentioned the Coupon Mom coupon database in the past. You'll have to sign up if you haven't yet (it's free). Once you're signed in, click on "grocery coupon database." Then you'll select your region/state.

When the coupon database opens, don't search for anything in the search box. Simply scroll down and you will see every available non-expired coupon listed in date order from newest to oldest.

Scroll down to the very bottom of the list, where the oldest possible coupons are.

If you look right now, you'll notice that the oldest insert listed is 6-7-09 RP. So right away, you know that you can toss everything prior to that. And then you can look at the one single coupon that is in the 6-7-09 RP, and decide if that insert is worth keeping.

Just go up the list and keep doing that until you've purged your old coupon inserts, and you're left with inserts that have valid coupons that aren't expired yet! If an insert has only a couple coupons you want, you might consider just clipping those few and tossing the remainder of the insert.

I pretty much purged everything up through September yesterday. There were a couple coupons in the June, July, and August inserts, but I didn't have an interest in them.

Pretty simple, eh? I love this method! It makes for a really quick and easy way to clean up my coupon organizing filing box.

What About You: Was this tip helpful?

Want to see other great Tidbits & Tips? Be sure to go HERE to read all of them from the past weeks!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This tip is extremely helpful!! Since I am fairly new to the coupon world, I was just trying to figure out how to easily go through and 1)find coupons in my inserts and 2) identify what needs to go.

Thanks so much for all you do!

March 30, 2010 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I am so glad you posted this. My coupon sorter is bulging. I can't even shut it anymore. I was wondering when it would be safe to start purging. I'll definitely be sorting tomorrow.

March 30, 2010 at 10:29 PM  
Anonymous Sara said...

Thanks for this tip! My kitchen table is overflowing with inserts and I'm having a party on Friday night. This will be an easy way to go through them. Also a perfect time, since it's the end of the month and a quarter. ;)

March 31, 2010 at 12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I donate my old coupons to Oversees Coupon Program. ocp.htm

March 31, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home